Hey lads, welcome to the cyber security section of Hackerzhome. Here, we will be posting articles about cyber security basics, Terminologies, Vulnerabilities, Tools, and some advanced tutorials. As we mentioned, This is a beginner-friendly blog so we will be covering everything from scratch. So, If you are about to start your cyber security career then you are in the right place.
This is an introduction article, where I will be answering many of the questions related to Cybersecurity. I hope you will get the answer you are looking for from this article.
Here is a quick overview of what we are going to see in this article.
Table of Contents
What is Cyber Security?
- CYBER – Things related to networks and computers/ Online / Internet world.
- SECURITY – Safeguarding / Protecting.
Hence, Protecting/safeguarding the things which are on the internet is called Cyber security.
Technically, Cyber security is the process of preventing and protecting computers, servers, networks, software, e-data, mobile devices, etc. from cyber threats and cyber-attacks.
The person who carries out this job will be called a cybersecurity analyst or cybersecurity expert.
Why do we need Cyber Security?
- Remember, we are living in a digital era and everything is going digital. From banking to shopping, booking to cooking, we are constantly using the internet and producing e-data. The more we use the Internet, the greater the security risk.
- Cyber security plays an important role in protecting us and our sensitive data from cyber-attacks and attackers.
- Not only for protecting data but also for detecting and reducing cybercrimes, cybersecurity is so vital.
- As we move further, attacks will increase with technology and everything will be at risk of data breaches and cyber-attacks. Hence, cyber security will be essential.
Scopes of Cyber Security?
- The scope of cybersecurity jobs is tremendously high all over the world due to growing cybercrimes and illegal activities in the cyber world.
- The companies are desperate to hire cyber security workers. According to Cybersecurity Ventures, The number of unfilled cybersecurity jobs worldwide grew 350%, from 1 million to 3.5 million, between 2013 and 2021. Also, they predict the same number of jobs will still be open till 2025.
- Many companies like google, apple, amazon, Instagram, etc. offer bug bounty programs where anyone with cybersecurity skills can test their company products and report bugs. Based on the severity, the bug bounty hunter will get paid. Check out their official pages to know more about the maximum payouts, eligible criteria, bug severity, etc.
- Cyber security is one of the highest-paying jobs. Based on the role and level of experience, the salary varies. We will discuss in depth about various roles and types in the upcoming articles. Here is the average value with respect to experience.
Can anyone become a Cyber security analyst?
- The short answer is YES, You don’t actually need a college degree to get into cyber security. But, you may need some certifications and good knowledge about the field. Indeed, you can be a self-taught cybersecurity analyst and become a freelancer.
- But if you ask us, not anyone can become a cyber security expert. A person with a burning desire to learn and an obsession with the field can become one. He should be passionate, creative thinker, and good with problem-solving. If you can do this, then you can get into cybersecurity.
Does cyber security require Coding skills?
- The answer is purely based on the role. There are varieties of roles available in cyber security (We will discuss the various roles and types in the next article ) but the majority of entry-level cybersecurity roles don’t require coding skills.
- So, If you are planning for entry-level cybersecurity jobs, then it doesn’t require you to have coding skills. The whole process can be carried out by tools. However, companies are looking for people with good coding skills to make their recruitment worthy and to fill high-level roles.
- For mid and advanced-level cybersecurity roles, it is necessary to have the ability to write and understand the logic behind the codes.
Whether it’s an entry-level or advanced level, We recommend you to have coding skills. It will help you to get advanced in your carrier.
How can you become one?
- To become a cybersecurity expert you need to have various skill sets and knowledge in various domains such as Networking, Programming, Operating systems(Linux, Windows, etc.), Cryptography, etc.
- Don’t worry we got you covered. We will be posting articles on networking, programming, Linux categories along with cyber security. So you can follow our website to learn from scratch.
Now here is the roadmap for becoming a cybersecurity expert.
Start with basics:
- If you have zero knowledge in the tech field then you should probably start with computer basic skills and basic terminologies of cyber security.
- Networking is one of the essential things for cyber security. Learn about the basics, network topologies, network protocols, etc. We should know how the systems communicate, how the data transfers take place, and so on.
- Linux is the widely used and most popular choice for cybersecurity experts due to its flexibility & compatibility with popular tools, its command line interface, and open-source.
- Get started with learning the basic commands, terminologies, and directories, and get used to the operating system.
- Programming is also one of the essential skills that any cyber security expert must acquire. The reason is, attackers might use scripts and codes to carry out the attack. so it is necessary to have the ability to understand the logic behind the codes for taking it down.
- Also, programming is used for automating your work, creating your own scripts, tools, and even coding your own firewall. So start with the basics of programming languages and master any one programming language.
Choose your role/type :
- There are varieties of roles and positions available in the cyber security domain. Choose the type/role you wanted to become.
- There are plenty of cybersecurity courses available on the internet. To begin with, Choose any of them according to your role and the syllabus they offer. Enroll and get certified.
- Remember, certification is not necessary for some companies. They will hire if you possess skills and knowledge but they will pay accordingly. A non-certified person will get less package than a certified one.
Not only for certification, We recommend you to enroll in any course so that you can get much knowledge from a single source in sequential order and also for experience.
Practice your skills :
- Once you complete the course, Practice your skills on platforms like hack the box, tryhackme, etc. Practice as much as you can and get much experience as possible. Meanwhile, Don’t stop learning.
Build your portfolio :
- Build your portfolio by doing some cybersecurity projects. Also, do participate in hackathon competitions conducted by top companies. If you win the hackathon competitions, the company will offer you job opportunities with a high package.
Apply for jobs :
- While building your portfolio, don’t forget to apply for the position you wanted, on reputed companies. Clear the interview and get placed. Even after getting placed, you can attend exams for advanced levels and get certified.
Never stop learning :
- Cybersecurity is a lifelong learning carrier. You should update yourself with technology. As we said earlier, Attacks will increase with technology and everything will be at risk of data breaches and cyber-attacks. So never stop learning.
We believe that we have covered most of the basic questions and we hope you got your answers. To sum it all up, cyber security is an interesting job where you can have fun with vulnerabilities. Get started your career with us. Best of luck for your future. Enjoy learning!